The SuperSting™ with Wi-Fi® is a resistivity, induced polarization (IP) and self-potential (SP) portable instrument with memory storage and user defined measure cycles. It provides the highest accuracy and lowest noise levels in the industry.
Five Versions available
SuperSting R1/IP/SP Wi-Fi: Single channel version
SuperSting R2/IP/SP Wi-Fi: Two channel version
SuperSting R4/IP/SP Wi-Fi: Four channel version
SuperSting R6/IP/SP Wi-Fi: Six channel version
SuperSting R8/IP/SP Wi-Fi: Eight channel version
- Straight forward pricing. No additional fees for upgrading. Only pay the difference.
- All SuperSting versions are upgradeable to a max of 8 channels.
- You can upgrade at any time via email, phone or online. License code will be sent to you electronically.
- Permanent Upgrade. No yearly licensing fees. You pay once and own it forever.
- No need to send your instrument to the factory to upgrade.
- As your business grows you can expand your capabilities.
- Everything is modular i.e. increase channels, multiple SwitchBoxes.
- Buy only what you need to get the job done and upgrade for faster speed later by adding more channels.
- Customer purchases SuperSting R1 at the lowest price point.
- Then after performing several projects contacts AGI to purchase 2 or more additional channels.
- Customer enjoys benefit of speed of additional channels and shorter survey times.
- Summary: Customer realizes increased revenue from a small initial cost then increases revenue further by adding more channels for faster survey speed.
Tried and True
The SuperSting line of instruments were the first in the industry to have multi-channel capability. The latest generation of SuperSting Wi-Fi is built on a platform that has been continually improved upon with more capability and features. The design has been thoroughly field tested on every extreme environment on Earth and has been utilized in over 700 peer reviewed journal articles around the world.
The SuperSting uses a built-in power transmitter and can be used for traditional vertical electrical sounding (VES), mise-a-la-masse measurements or multi-electrode electrical tomography in 2D, 3D and 4D (time lapse). Other applications are borehole-to-borehole tomography, boat towed marine surveys and underwater measurements in rivers, lakes, dams and the sea to investigate bottom conditions.
Earth Resistivity Imaging and Measurement Equipment
Scan and Image the subsurface of the Earth and visualize the results in 2D slices and 3D volumes in terms of resistivity (a bulk electrical property of all material). Electrical resistivity of material determines its ability to resist electrical current flow through it.
Induced Polarization Imaging (IP) and Measurement
Scan and Image the subsurface of the Earth in 2D slices and/or 3D volumes in terms of Induced Polarization. Induced polarization is a measure of a materials capacitance or rate of dissipation of stored electrical charge. Few materials exhibit this property in the natural world. Some examples are graphite, Sulfides, DNAPL, LNAPL, cholorinated solvents, some clays. This uniqueness makes it the tool for mineral exploration, groundwater pollution detection and monitoring, as well as delineating clay from groundwater as water has very little IP
SP measurements are often lumped together under the banner of SP although there are distinct methods:
Streaming Potential is a phenomena where fluid, usually in the groundwater, surface water or flowing through an obstacle like a dam or levee, will carry ions downstream creating a separation of charges. A separation of charges is also known as a potential or voltage. This makes the method ideal for finding paths of leakage such as in a dam or levee, water retention liners, water intrusion in underground and above ground mines.
Spontaneous Potential (aka Self Potential) is a natural occuring polarization in the Earth. Often these natural occuring polarizations are due to electrochemical process linked to massive ore bodies. It is a non-intrusive method that requires the use of non-polarizing electrodes.
Supported measurement arrays:
- Dipole-dipole (1, 4, 8 channel)
- Bipole-bipole (1, 4, 8 channel)
- Pole-bipole (1, 4, 8 channel)
- Pole-Pole (1, 4, 8 channel)
- Gradient (1, 4, 8 channel)
- StrongGradient™ (1, 4, 8 channel)
- EdgeGradient™ (1, 4, 8 channel)
- Radial Dipole-Dipole
- Inverse Schlumberger (4 channel)
- Mixed arrays
- Dipole-Dipole-Gradient (1, 4, 8 channel)
- Wenner-Schlumberger (1, 4, 8 channel)
- Schlumberger (single channel only)
- Wenner (single channel only)
- User programmable arrays of any kind.
The SuperSting is a versatile instrument that can be applied to any field situation. Some interesting applications (not a complete list):
- Karst Geology: Sinkholes, caves, voids, pinnacles
- Marine measurements at 1km depth in the ocean
- On tree trunks
- Vertical walls
- Inside tunnels
- Over pyramids
- Locating graves
- CO2 sequestration time lapse monitoring
- dams and levees
- marine dredging (the entire Panama Canal was imaged in 3D)
- borehole tomography
- landfills (compaction purposes/gas methane/finding extent of old landfills)
- Mine leach piles (get every ounce with leaching)
- Gold exploration (both placer and massive sulfides)
- Mineral exploration
- Sand and gravel aggregate
- Industrial Minerals
Active and Passive Electrode Cable Systems
SuperSting can function with two types of AGI multi-electrode cables, the passive type and the active type.
Passive cables utilizes a central switch box and a multi-conductor cable where one conductor goes to each electrode.
Active cables utilizes electronic switching at each electrode and therefore can be made with fewer conductors allowing for a thinner cable OD. The receiver (potential) conductors are shielded to prevent external noise. The transmitter (current carrying) conductors are very thick so that the condutor resistance is minimized. The transmitter conductors internal resistance is in series with the ground contact resistance and can significantly lower the transmitting current if small conductors are used.
Non-polarizable Dual-mode active cables
An advantage with the active cables is that for each electrode location, there is a take-out for a stainless steel electrode and a non-polarizable potential electrode. The instrument will automatically pass the transmitted electrical current through the stainless steel electrode and measure potential (IP) through the non-polarizable electrode (patent 6,404,203).
PowerSting External Transmitter (5kW, 10kW, 15kW)
For deep surveys or other applications where high power is required, the SuperSting can be used with the AGI PowerSting™ external current transmitter. The PowerSting is available in a 5 kW, 10 kW or 15 kW version.
The PowerSting Nodes work in concert with the high power PowerSting External Transmitters. High Power induced polarization (IP) and resistivity tomography using the AGI PowerSting Node System for high power automatic switching. Typical systems range from 2.7km to 5.5km in length.
Why Wi-Fi and Android?
- Mobility: free yourself from having to monitor the survey at the instrument console on the ground.
- Share data: send data immediately to your processing center, office, colleagues and clients.
- Comfort: you can work from the comfort of your vehicle up to 100 meters away (depending on terrain and atmospheric conditions). Find a comfortable spot to sit in the shade.
- Alerts: Receive alerts when the survey is about to complete
- Real Time Quality Assurance: Check your data as it is being collected. Spot trouble before having wasted precious field time.
- Zero boot-up time: No more waiting for Windows to boot up. Android devices are instantly ON and ready to work for you.
- Long battery life: Android devices typically offer longer battery life than laptops
- Sunlight readable: Most Android devices today are all sunlight readable unlike your laptop.
Leverage the power of Android™ mobile 7-inch or 10-inch tablets or phones. Use 3rd party apps like Google Earth, DropBox Cloud Storage, PushBullet file transfer to extend your field work experience.
Check the electrode contact resistance and save it to a file. Control the SuperSting from far away, review data in real time, and display pseudosections in stunning colors on Android tablets and phones with sunlight readable AMOLED screens.