Generator Power Supplies for the SuperSting: Important Details
- SuperSting Generator Power supplies require a steady 900W AC 110 or 220V 50 or 60hz generator. The Honda 1000iu is a popular choice
- Two power supplies allow Boost Mode with 200W maximum output
- One supply will power the instrument in Main mode with 100W maximum output
- Contact Resistance values of <1800 ohm allow the Boost Mode with 200W maximum output
- Lower contact resistance as much as possible to improve signal to noise ratio (use 500ml of 2% salt water at the stake/earth interface, etc).
- NEVER connect SuperSting battery cables to 12V output on any generator These outputs can cause noise and damage the instruments.
- NEVER connect 3rd party AC power invertors as these are not designed for the SuperSting and can cause noise or damage the instruments
- NOISE Small generators normaly use a floating/isolated ground. Installing optional grounding will most likely cause ground loop noise
- NOISE Avoid plugging other devices into the generator, especially with marine projects, as these devices may contaminate the power source